Re: Malcolm Caithness??

-----Original Message-----
From: Spirit One Email <laurel@spiritone.com>
To: sinclair@zilker.net <sinclair@zilker.net>
Date: Thursday, April 15, 1999 12:08 AM
Subject: Malcolm Caithness??

>Cousins,
>    More questions about names.
>    It was just recently that I noticed Malcolm's last name was Caithness.
>I guess that is pretty unobservant.  So I know the area named Caithness.
Is
>this the shortened version of Malcolm of Caithness?  If so, is his name
>legally Caithness?
>    Now I don't want to cause trouble with this next question, it is just
>help me understand the situation, and know he isn't about to take over
>another territory, But, if he hypothetically got possession of Rosslyn,
>would he then be Malcom Rosslyn?  Is there someone named ____Rosslyn?   Was
>his father called  _____Caithness?  How long has the name been in the
>family?  Are his kids named Caithness? Why isn't he Malcolm Sinclair?
>Laurel
>
>[ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@jump.net.

Dear Laurel:
Not sure if this got answered but I will answer it now anyway. I have just
returned from Scotland where I talked with our Chief and this is how it
works.  Malcolms family name is Sinclair but when you have a title, you
sometimes drop the family name as it is understood by all exactly what that
is and the land title is substituted.  John Sinclair who is Viscount Thurso,
is always called John Thurso by people in Caithness and the Lords.  Peter
St. Clair Erskine is the Earl of Rosslyn and he is called Peter Rosslyn.
Often when people with titles sign their names, they use only the place-name
"Thurso"   or "Caithness".  The usage of titles and proper names is a very
highly developed art and is subject to the most minute rules of protocol.
This is just one of them.  Our Chief is very excited about the 2000
Gathering next year and he and John Thurso and Peter Rosslyn are all
involved.

Yours aye, Rory.