Re: The Banner mail and Flags

-------

Greetings!

>From what I know, heard etc. St. Andrews cross, the white "X" on blue
represents the crucifixtion of St. Andrew who insisted he was unworthy
to be crucified like Christ. So he insisted that they crucify him
horizontally and the "X" represents that.

In the British flag, if you look there is the St. Andrews cross as well
as St. George's cross (vertical and horizontal red) and I believe the
cross representing Wales as well.  The flag came about after the
unification of Scotland, Wales and England.

If anyone has better information, I would be glad to hear. I hope this
is of some interest or informative.

Sincerely,
Richard F. Sinclair

Johnnye,
>    This banner you speak of is the Chiefs Pennant.  It is only flown
where
>the Chief or his representative is present.  I have never been able to
get
>an explanation of it, not even from the Chief.  I imagine the Lord Lyon
>would help.    Kindest regards, David

>Subject: Re: The Banner
>

>><< Also this book shows a standard (banner) for each clan.  I have
>> never
>> seen these before.  Ours is blue/grey, gold, red, and white.  The
left 1/5
>> contains a white "X" on the blue/grey.  The next 4 parts have a
Rooster,
>> unicorn, muzzled bear upon a crown, and merimaid combing her hair and
>> looking into a mirror (wierd!).  These 4 fields are separated with
>diagonal
>> stripes containing or Clan motto:  "Commit thy works unto God"
Anyone