Sinclair info from Karen Matheson.

Karen,

Thanks for the information on James Sinclair. I have a copy of those
same pages that you got from the 'History of Texas' at the FHL.
I also have information from my parents that Jean Grigsby provided.
>From all of this, I'm trying to determine if the Duncan in Moore County
is my relative and try to trace the roots back from there.

Regarding the information on James Sinclair from the 'History of Texas',
the following e-mails occurred in the Spring of 1998.

Cabell's Cavalry Brigade consisted of: (1) the 1st Arkansas
(Carroll's-Thompson's) Cavalry Regiment which was a successor to the 1st
Cavalry Regient, State Troops, and it was organized in 1862. It became
the 4th (Gordon's) Cavalry Regiment in late 1863
(2) 2nd Arkansas (Morgan's) Cavalry Regiment, formerly the 5th Cavalry
Regiment (3) 4th Arkansas (Gordon's) Cavalry Regiment, also known as the
2nd Arkansas (Gordon's) Cavalry Regiment, formerly the 1st
(Carroll's-Thomson's) Cavalry Regiment (4) 7th Arkansas Cavalry Regiment
(formerly Hill's Cavalry Battalion) (5) 13th Arkansas Cavalry Battalion,
also known as the 16th Arkansas Cavalry Battalion (6) 8th Arkansas Field
Artillery Battalion.

Captain Albert Alexander is unfamiliar to me. There was an A. B.
Alexander in Co. "D" of the 2nd Infantry. This may be the same man; I
just don't know. However, as a captain, he would not have been in charge
of any of the "regiments" in Cabell's Brigade; he could have been a
company commander at the highest (except in very unusual circumstances).

The Trans-Mississippi Department was created on 26 May 1862, to
encompass Texas, the Indian Territory, Arkansas, Missouri, and Western
Louisiana, with T. C. Hindman becoming Dept. commander on 31 May. T. H.
Holmes was ordered to succeed him in July. Kirby Smith assumed command
of all Confederate forces west of the Mississippi on 7 March 1863, about
30,000 troops scattered from Ft. Smith, AR to the Rio Grande River.

Hope that helps a little.
Ken Jones

Sinclair wrote:

> Ken,
>
> I have an ancetor uncle, James Sinclair,  that fought  with the
> Cabell's
> Brigade(W.L. Cabell) directed by Major General Sterling Price.
> His unit was under the command of Captain Albert Alexander.
> The units were under Cabell's Brigade were:
> 1st Ark.
> 2nd Ark.
> 4th Ark.
> 7th Ark.
> Ark. Batallion
> Blochers Battery.
>
> Which of the previous mention units was commanded by Alexander?
>
> Also, do you have any information on the Trans-Mississippi Dept.?  My
> uncle
> joined this in 1862 to enter the war.
>
> Sincerely,
>
> Sinclair

Not sure if I have replied to you before.  Found your
note in a large glob of assorted emails (I get tons each
day).  I have transferred this over to someone who might
be able to find the right unit.  If we can find the unit I can
find out more.

Thanks,
Mark