Re: Glenurcha

-------

Hi Karen:  Thank you so much for the information. The source of names was in the
website:  www.rootsweb.com/~ote/caroship.htm "Passenger lists from England and
Scotland.  I had hoped that I might be able to connect this John with Ulster
County, or even New Amsterdam, NY.  The children's name unfortunately do not fit
my lineage, but at least the info is "out there" for someone.  Thanks for your
response.  I know there were several emails of people trying to locate
"Duncan".  As you, I hope the combined information helps someone.   Thanks for
the info on the Glenorchy
spelling.  (Interesting that's it's close to Orkney.)

Matheson wrote:

> [ This is the Sinclair family discussion list, sinclair@zilker.net.
> [ For more information, see http://www.mids.org/sinclair/list.html
> -------
>
> Gail,
>
> Here is more on Duncan Sinclair and Isobel McIntyre who sailed on the
> "Ulysses" in August 1774 to Wilmington, NC.  They were married May 26th
> [1774].  The marriage register for parish of Glenorchy and Inishail reads,
> "Duncan Sinclar, Shonmelochan [name of farm or clachlan], & Isabel McIntyre
> at the ferry were married."  The passenger list for the "Ulysses" contains
> numerous McIntyres but only the two Sinclairs--Duncan and John.
>
> John Sinclair married Mary Sinclair on 13 Oct 1768 in Glenorchy and Inishail
> parish.  Their children may have been:
> (1) Mary chr 29 Nov 1769 [father John Sinclair, mother Mary Sinclair]
> (2) Donald chr 20 May 1770 [father John Sinclair, mother Sinclair]
> (3) Peter chr 4 Sep 1772 [father John Sinclair, mother Mary]
>
> Don't let the dates confuse you--these are christening dates, not birth
> dates.  Mary may have been christened when she was older, Donald may have
> been christened the day he was born!
>
> Duncan and Isobel (McIntyre) Sinclair may have settled in Cumberland County,
> NC.  I can't lay my hands on them right now, but there are some pre-1800
> records that name Isobel Sinclair.
>
> That's all I have.  Hope it helps.
>
> Karen Matheson
> P.S. Remind me who you are looking for--name, date and location.

A John Sinclair is listed as the father of Joseph.  Unfortunately, no wife is
listed, and I cannot verify John as the father of:
                Joseph Sinclair (1817-1878) married to Rebecca Bogardus
Heermance (1827-       )
They were in Ulster County, NY  in one or more towns of  Marbletown, Boiceville,
Samsonville, Kingston area. Their daughters are(gg-aunt) Virginia (married to
Pratt Shurter) and (gg-grandmother) Caroline (married to Hewitt Boice.)

Thanks for your efforts.  If I can assist you in some way, let me know.  I live
in Virginia Beach, VA. G.

[
[  info sinclair
[